Sometimes people have too much stuff to keep in one place, or they need to keep it somewhere while they’re not around. Self storage is the answer to this problem, whether it’s a homeowner with more things than their house can hold or a college student keeping things in their college town while they head home for the summer. There’re over sixty thousand facilities around the globe and most of them are in the United States. Should you find yourself in need of choosing a storage facility, keep reading to learn the 7 things to consider.
1) Do you need climate control? If you have climate or temperature-sensitive materials to store, look for facilities that have at least some indoor storage that stay heated and air conditioned.
2) Do you need indoor access? If rain happens often where you live, you don’t want your things to get drenched when loading and unloading. An indoor facility lets you move down hallways instead of outdoor alleys.
3) Are there security cameras? Most self storage Calgary facilities do not have 24/7 personnel available on-site, but there should be at least an on-call button to a tech support number as well as security cameras watching over the entire property. Sometimes you can even log onto the Internet and see a live feed of your rented unit.
4) How easy is the gate? Some facilities, especially older ones, might require a code to be put in and then have you jump out and open and close the gate physically. Not only is this inconvenient, it’s not all that safe at night. Facilities with manual locks should definitely be avoided. Only go for ones where you type in a code and drive in.
5) How convenient is the location? Self storage facilities make money based on the space they lease out, so sometimes they pack their units in pretty tightly. They also build on whatever odd-shaped pieces of land are available. While access to a major road is convenient, the higher real estate prices can mean higher storage fees. Also make sure that you can get your vehicles in and through a storage facility, as maneuvering a cargo truck is sometimes a difficult task.
6) Can you customize the contract? Most locations are pretty flexible and friendly in terms of the contracts they’ll let you sign. Specifically, that means they’ll let you pay the whole duration in advance if you want, and you can choose how many months you want. In some cases, you might only need a single month or two, like if you’re putting things away while between selling one house and moving into another. Just make sure that if you pay for the whole term in advance that you get reminders when it is up so you don’t forget and wind up with warnings about your contents being auctioned off.
7) Is there a light and an outlet? Sometimes aspiring bands practice in storage units where they have cheap room and no one cares about the noise. Electricity is handy for the amps and mics.
Now that you know 7 considerations to keep in mind, you can find the right self storage facility for your needs.